Monday, February 27, 2006

Once a radical.....


I often have a hard time trying to explain to my very technically/scientifically oriented son exactly why I am and have been so heavily involved in politics, or, for instance, why I frequently engage in shouting matches with a cable TV talk show.

I think he was particularly perplexed when last summer he learned that I was out standing vigil for Cindy Sheehan along with about 35 other people.

He knew of course that I had been involved in campus "free speech" protests and had marched for Civil Rights and (eventually) against the Viet Nam War while I was in College. What the hell...it was during 1966 through 1970....what would you expect? I spent 15 years in public service practicing what I believed and left disillusioned. Although I was effectively "out" of politics for anther 15 years, the old passions never actually died and so I jumped right back in.

Truthfully, I'm far more "mainstream" than I was "back in the day...." but something very strange has happened: What was "mainstream" back then, is considered "radical" now. In fact, to my never-ceasing amazement, the simple act of writing a letter in opposition to The President's policies is now an act of radical sedition. Participation in a peaceful vigil or demonstration brands you as a member of the moon-bat, looney left.

Huh?

How the hell did that happen?

My family jokingly now refers to me as the "crazy neighborhood liberal". They joke that I probably have a huge FBI dossier. (I probably do....college...military...managing federal programs...I wouldn't be a bit surprised) I think sometimes I should "tone it down" a bit to keep from embarrassing them.

Nah......can't do that....

It's against my nature....

Stephen C. Day has a character from Last Chance Democracy Cafe, Winston, explain his "radicalism" to his family in this way:

http://www.lastchancedemocracycafe.com/?p=51#more-51

So I’m sorry if my bluntness sometimes makes you cringe. But don’t expect me to change. Because if there’s one thing this country doesn’t need right now, it’s one more person running with the crowd

I'll probably remain outspoken and also continue trying to explain myself to my family but I think my "blog buddy" Rasputin1952 put it quite nicely.

We fight because others are too timid, or lack the conscience of the humanity we fight for. We are old, but wise beyond our years. We have fought this fight before, and won; we fight again, if for no other reason than it is simply the right thing to do. by Rasputin 1952

hizzhoner