Thursday, October 18, 2007

What am I to think?

In the past 36 hours or so, I have been confronted with two separate instances where staff people have provided the Common Council with false or misleading information which was obviously intended to justify the expenditure of some pretty substantial sums of public money.

In both instances, the information was provided to the public as well as the Common Council.

But in both instances, the information was wrong.

Now what am I tho think?

Were the public officials who provided this information mistaken? Mistakes do happen. It's not uncommon.

but

Were the public officials who provided this information incompetent? Dis they not check their data? Did they not know how to analyze the data? That happens too, I suppose

Or, were these public officials acting dishonestly?

Qui Bono?

Who was to benefit from this? That's what I've got to determine....

I've told my companions that our job is to be skeptical. To refrain from taking anything at face value.....there's good reason to be skeptical, apparently....skeptical indeed.