Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Need to retrain myself


I think if I've ever had an "over-riding" fault* in politics it has to be my tendency to go off on "Crusades". That is, to stand obstinately behind a principle even if it means certain political defeat or damage.

(*just to be clear here, I have more than "one fault" but I'm talking about a specific theme here...not to imply that I'm arrogant enough to think I'm that close to perfection -hizzhoner)

The reason I mention it now is because upon diving back in to public office again after a long (too long) hiatus, I find one issue after another coming up which violate some of my core beliefs and principles of government. As always, my first instinct is to "man the barricades" or dig in my heels to fight for those principles. But the interesting thing is, my fellow elected officials don't see the issues as ones of "principle", they see them as small, minute even, little issues that should be disposed of in the quickest possible manner. Or, more likely, they see them as "budget-cutting", "cost-saving" or "frugal" measures. I still can't bring myself to look at these issues in that way because they speak directly to the question of "what is government supposed to be funding?".

I think I'm going to have to learn to pick my battles. Save what little political capital I have, (being a "newbie" they have shuffled me off to dust bins...I have to build seniority and power) for the really big battles. Right now, the only power I really have is my ability to speak forcefully and articulately and the ability to do my homework. Strangely enough, I have more power on the council floor than anywhere else.

We'll see if I can reform myself...or is that "restrain" myself?

hizzhoner