Saturday, April 08, 2006

Trying to get back in the swing of things

Last week was momentous in a couple of ways.

The death and subesquent funeral of my Mother-in-law took up most of my attention from March 30 through April 4. This is as it should be. We were fortunate enough to be joined by Sylvia's brothers and one Nephew (who we haven't seen in 18 years.) and I think that was wonderful. Despite the fact that the family had reconciled itself to Mom's death for over 14 years (that's how long she was in a nursing home) there was a lot more grief and sense of loss than anybody had imagined. The funeral was a chance for all of them to come to grips with the whole ordeal of Alzheimer's Disease. The fact that they were all gathered at our house was also a chance for them to share stories of their youth and their time with their mother...actually a chance to literally celebrate their life with their mother...and then to say good-bye. It was good. And then, on Tuesday Morning, one-by-one, the whole family left and normal life, the new normal life, began.

But Tuesday was election day for local offices in Wisconsin and I was on the ballot. I had almost completely forgotten that little fact for the last five days before the election...good thing I was running unopposed....

After that, it's been a whirlwind.

...the bizarre ending to the Mayor's race
...the flood of phone calls on various issues
...decisions to be made about committee assignments
...several issues within the party to deal with...

whew!

Welcome to the "new normal"...

I think I'm in for quite a ride.