Monday, February 19, 2007

Republican Civility my....foot


There has been so much publicity recently about "left wing" incivility...."left wing vulgarity" that I just have to post this.....




From a new review in Ha'aretz:
Speaking of George Bush, with whom Sharon developed a very close relationship, Uri Dan recalls that Sharon's delicacy made him reluctant to repeat what the president had told him when they discussed Osama bin Laden. Finally he relented. And here is what the leader of the Western world, valiant warrior in the battle of cultures, promised to do to bin Laden if he caught him: "I will screw him in the ass!"


and that's not all....this is taken from the book Hubris, by the ultimately credible Bob Woodward and recounted in 2006 by the same Jonathan Schwarz


Here's yet more from Hubris by Michael Isikoff and David Corn. According to Hubris, this exchange took place during a May 1, 2002 meeting between Bush, Ari Fleischer, and Adam Levine (who worked for Fleischer):
As Fleischer recounted [an exchange with Helen Thomas about Saddam Hussein] for the president, Bush's mood changed, according to Levine. He grew grim and determined—steely. Out of nowhere, he unleashed a stream of expletives.
"Did you tell her I don't like motherfuckers who gas their own people?" the president snapped.
"Did you tell her I don't like assholes who lie to the world?"


"Did you tell her I'm going to kick his sorry motherfucking ass all over the Mideast?"


Schwarz can't pass up the snark. He writes:


If I were teaching a course called "Insane World Leaders: 1945-2006," I'd devote at least two classes to this. There's a lot you could say about it, but my favorite parts are:
1. Bush's belief he somehow was personally "going to kick [Saddam's] sorry motherfucking ass." I guess I missed the part where Bush parachuted into Iraq and went mano-y-mano with Saddam and bested him in a round of Extreme Kickboxing.
Speaking of which, before the war Iraqi Vice President Taha Yassin Ramadan picked up on Bush's weirdly personal animus and suggested that he and Saddam fight a duel. "In this way," he said, "we are saving the American and Iraqi people." The White House
scoffed at this preposterous notion. I suspect this was because Bush is so incredibly manly it wouldn't be a fair fight.
2. Bush, Fleischer and Levine were meeting to discuss an upcoming History Channel interview of Bush about similarities between him and Reagan. According to
Hubris, on a pre-brief memo Bush had scrawled such phrases as "moral clarity."


So we, that is those of us on the left-hand side of the ledger and especially those of us who inhabit the land of Left Blogostan, are the ones who are "uncivil".


We're the ones who are vulgar?


I wrote a few days ago that Joe Klein finally "got it" about why Democrats are angry....RIGHTFULLY ANGRY!


So according to David Broder, the Democrats are supposed to play by the Marquis of Queensbury Rules while the Republicans kick our Ass? Bull!


I haven't read Schwarz's book but I think I'm going to do so .....soon.....