Monday, March 19, 2007

I can have friends...or...I can have principles...


I haven't written about this for a long time but somCheck Spellingetimes I need to remember


Collegiality.


Did you ever hear that term? You commonly hear it in reference to the U.S. Senate but you may also hear it in reference to the members of any elected body. It is the respect they show for each other for being members of the same exclusive (semi-exclusive) club, thatclub of elected officials.


In the rules of "collegiality" you may not be hostile to other members. On the floor of the body in question you may not insult that member. You may not impune the members motives or call them names. You must, above all, be CIVIL.


It doesn't mean you can't disagree. You must do so only in terms of collegiality.....and in return, all your collegues will be your friends.


Nice, huh?....agree without being disagreeable...manners...civility....yeah, but there's a problem with that...


You see most of us Jack-Pine-Savages don't know that "collegiality" doesn't mean we have to agree with everybody else....it doesn't mean that you have to "rubber stamp" everything that is proposed in order to keep from upsetting your "friends"....


So when something comes up that wrankles my principles, I have a choice of having friends or principles....


I think I'm down to having "man's best friend" now.