Saturday, June 30, 2007

Some disturbing passages from Stephenwolf

These bother me because there have been so many comparisoms to USA of today and 1930's Germany....some are bogus of course, but then there's this description of reading a newspaper column:

"It is remarkable, all that men can swallow. For a good ten minutes I read a newspaper. I allowed the spirit of an irresponsible man who chews and munches anothers words in his mouth and then gives them out again, undigested , to enter my soul through my eyes."

He could just as well be describing a David Broder column or perhaps even one of Judith Miller's infamous pre-invasion columns of the New York Times.

And then, there's the music...like the music he heard coming from one of the imfamous caberets

One half of the music, the melody, was all pomade and sugar and sentimentality. The other half was savage, tempermental and vigorous. Yet the two went together artlessly well and made a whole. It was the music of decline.

He could also have been talking about listenig to any to any top 40 station on your car radio.

These disturb me very much