Sunday, July 29, 2007

crumudgeon......yeah...I guess I am




I really don't do too well with local, hometown-type festivals ....You know what I'm talking about....as you (used to) see as you drove south on I-39, a billboard advertising the City of Endeavor's Broiler Vegetable Festival; the tiny berg of Ino's UFO Festival; Loyal's Cornfest; and we can't forget that Clark County likes to humiliate some poor young lady by crowning her PORK QUEEN. (It's even more amazing that young women actually COMPETE to be crowned Pork Queen)


Even though the t themes may appear diverse...(Dairyfest, Hodag festival, Bay Days etc) they all have one common element:


BEER TENTS

No matter what the event, the locals ALWAYS have a beer license issued and most often, rope off a main street or a portion of the public park and the organizers and politicians stand in the middle of the street and get drunk.

Oh yeah....and don't forget that the local councils get conned into funding it either with actual cash or public works and police assistance or both and call it....are you ready for it?

ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT



sigh......






You know....A Prairie Home Companion is fun to listen to but it's not so funny when you're actually living it.....


yeah...I'm a crumudgeon......




By the way....a week or so ago I lamented the death of my fellow High School alumini, Doug Marlette, the Pulitzer prize winning political cartoonist who was killed in an automobile accident in Mississippi.....I mentioned it on the "other" blog but neglected to mention it here.