Monday, November 26, 2007

It's Christmas time, Charlie Brown.....




You know....sometimes I actually do feel like Charlie Brown.






I remember his deep concerns over "the true meaning of Christmas" and his troubled looks over Snoopy decorating his dog house with as many lights as he could..






I feel that way most of the season...






I don't understand....






Is the strength of your faith measured by how many inflatable, lighted Christmas decorations you have on your front lawn or the thousands of icicles hanging from your eaves?






Is it a sign of status if you have music playing to pulsating lights across the front of your house?






Conversely,






Are you an atheist if you have only a simple wreath hanging from your front door? If I don't put lights in my window am I less of a Christian than my neighbor?


Where in the synoptic gospels, (Mathew, Mark, Luke and John) did it mention PENGUINS? Penguins in Santa Claus hats forcryingoutloud!!!!






Let's get this straight...Christmas...or, more precisely, December 25... is the day that was decided upon to be the celebration of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth...the son of God...one of the trinity of the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost...who would, some thirty years later become a great teacher, prophet and ultimately...according to Christian belief, be unjustly crucified to redeem mankind for its sins...



got that?

Okay............good....


So where does Santa Claus come in?

And Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer?



And Frosty the snowman?


The Grinch, the whos' and freekin whoville... where did they come from?




The gifts...more appropriately the elaborate gifts and "shop til you drop"....where did that come from?
Just where in the synoptic gospels (Mathew, Mark, Luke and John) do PENGUINS come in? fercryinoutloud....Penguins in Santa hats!!!!!!


I'll continue to think about this stuff.....No wonder I get depressed around this time of year....