Monday, November 19, 2007

The short version.....

I used to refer to this as The Reader's Digest version, but I haven't done that in a while....


Of course, in my last post, I noted that I have been "successful" in getting my proposal through the Common Council.....


well....


What I think I was REALLY successful at was starting a Class A Sh%tstorm. Although, I wasn't alone...other alderpersons were successful in getting their priorities through...the whole world turned ugly for over a week and remains a bit ugly today...


The Mayor used his veto power on three proposals: My proposal on firefighters/Dir of Planning and Economic Development; elimination of a new industrial park; and combining of city engineer/public works director.


I was caught flat-footed on the veto because I didn't have a clue as to whether my proposal would even get a second for discussion so I hadn't thought out the veto scenario at all.


this is the short version....okay...I'll remind myself...


Anyway his veto held by 4-6 vote (I needed 7 votes to override)..and I stood my ground but still lost. I was urged to resubmit my proposal in a different form...e.g. leave off the firefighters and simply eliminate the department head....but that was not what I wanted to do. That was never the intent of my proposal. My intent was to ADD TWO FIREFIGHTERS! The budget rules were that in order to ADD to the budget, I had to SUBTRACT from the budget....so I replaced a recurring personal services expense with a recurring personal service expense. I'm not upset that I didn't do it because my principles were upheld....even if my friends abandoned me in the process, I held onto my beliefs....


Time to put this battle behind me and start focusing on the next....and then the next...


the battles never end you know....