Wednesday, December 12, 2007

About that looooonnnngggg meeting




I briefly mentioned that I was pretty tired out as a result of a long (and tense) meeting on Monday night...I eneded up with another long one last night...but the Monday night meeting is what I want to talk about.




That meeting was in almost every sense an ambush...a political ambush, but nevertheless it was an ambush. I had heard the "tom-toms" on Friday morning before the meeting but I didn't have any idea what to expect when I walked into the meeting...it wasn't a straight-forward political challenge, it was the most absurd premise for action I had ever seen. I won't go into the details but it involves some of the worst cases of political favoritism I've witnessed in many, many years.




Now let's get this straight.




I'm not condemning the ambush.




Heavens no..... In my 30+ years of participating in all levels of politics I've participated in(okay, okay, okay,.....I've PLANNED) more than my share of them. I think the only thing I really object to is that it is my preference to be the bushwackER and not the bushwackEE. Having said that, there is the tendency among us old-time politicians to actually congratulate our opponents on a successful gambit and say, "(using my best Jon Stewert voice) WELL PLAYED, Sir"




My objection to the situation is that it shows favoritism to one party that no other member of the public could possibly get and that it rewards bad behavior both administratively and financially.......the technique to get it done was pretty sophisticated but the result was/is pretty unacceptable....




The question is.....what can I do about it?




I need to "go to the mountaintop" to think this through....