Sunday, February 08, 2009

Candidate's Forum?


Our local newspaper ran a "candidate's forum" in yesterdays paper in advance of the Feb 17 primary. In one ward of our city, there are three candidates vying for election to the council seat. The incumbent has had more than his share of problems. Problems like

  • Arrested for driving while intoxicated, THIRD OFFENSE
  • Arrested for driving after revocation TWICE
He never speaks at Council meetings and his voting is erratic. He may, at times show up at council meetings in a three-piece suit and purple streaked hair, or he may show up in a sweater, jeans and a Harley-Davidson jacket. I would normally write all of this off to personal "style" but I think it goes, far, far beyond that.

He's young and I have talked very frankly with him on a lot of occasions in an attempt to build or strengthen coalitions on various issues. The problem is that he insists on flat-out lying to me from time to time so my trust in him has disappeared. I don't even try any more.

Both of his opponents are well-educated and appear to have done their homework....which impresses me. One of the candidates has six prior years experience on the Council and knows how things actually work. I think he's the one I'm most likely to support.

But again.....god only
knows what's going to happen in the next two weeks. The incumbent thinks he is going to WIN the primary. I think he'll even drink to it! In truth, I think he's TOAST: