Thursday, February 05, 2009

Of audits, fire stations and just plain meanness....

I promised another post on this so here it is....(I suspect I'm only talking to myself here but, hey, it's therapeutic...)

I think I wrote about my outrage last year when the audit report was delayed because of sicknesses both on the part of staff and the lead independent auditor. I didn't mind that at all but the administration wanted to stay "on schedule" and present the audit on time so they presented us with three or four pie graphs and and a verbal statement that "there were no significant findings" and recommended we "approve the audit"..

Being my normal, mild-mannered self, (insert roflmao image here) I went ballistic and within a couple of months worked up an audit committee ordinance to present to the council. You would have thought I was raping nuns by the reaction I got. Anyway by the time it finally came around to being heard, two weeks ago, the battle lines were clearly drawn. It was voted out of committee and will go to the council.

I'll probably lose this on the council floor but I think there needs to be a check and balance on the executive branch's ability to control the conversation about the city's finances. I don't think the auditor understands that he works for the COMMON COUNCIL and not the administration. I've tried to convince my colleagues about this but I think they are marching to a different agenda....(I wish I knew what the hell it actually is!!!) Anyway that's been keeping me quite busy.

The Fire station issue is roaring ahead full speed and I suspect it will occupy a great deal of my time for the next couple of months. At this point my only objection to the proposal is the cost. I think letting nine (9) firefighters design the station without any aldermen, citizens or taxpayers to constrain their wants versus needs was a huge mistake.

The original estimate was for $3.1 Million for the project and now it is zooming toward $7MM including land, demolition, FFE and construction. I am not happy. I would be happier with something around the $4MM mark or maybe just slightly over that but this 26,000 square foot palace is a bit too much to bear. I mean it has private "berthing quarters" for 10 firefighters and a "fitness center" which they generously tell us that City Hall Staff can use too!!!! whoopee!!!! I'm sure the taxpayers are going to be thrilled that we're building a fitness center for all city employees....there is a "classroom" and a public meeting room (because there obviously isn't enough public meeting space in the city.....although I don't remember ever hearing any complaints...oh, yeah....that why we built a CONVENTION CENTER in 2001!) Anyway....

I think it's over-designed and I want to proceed but I'm not going to agree to the costs....

In the meantime.....

My political adversaries are currently stalking me....(see old post)

My adversaries are referring to me as a "cancer on city government that must be cut out". (Sounds a bit ominous, no?) I think that's one of the strange things about our City politics...it's all underground and all done through "whisper campaigns".

Oh well, got some more reading to do....more later.....