Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Existential questions....

I've come to that point in life where I understand that I am not immortal. Come to think of it, I got my first glimpse of that when I had a heart attack. But I did the most stupid thing possible after the heart attack: I "changed my lifestyle" so that I could live longer and cheat death for a little bit more time. That's stupid because I gave up on living to "live".

To be honest, I've struggled with the question of what do I want to do with my remaining days of life for about 5 years. I've been through all the common things...jump out of airplanes, cure cancer, change the world, have sex 10 times a day (did I mention that much of it is pure fantasy?), run off with my childhood sweetheart, etc., etc..

No. I wasn't drinking when I came up with these, but try the exercise for yourself sometime. Ask yourself, "what if I have only 5 years left in my life?" What would I want to do in those five years? It isn't as easy as it sounds.....I guarantee that at least SOME of the weird thoughts mentioned above will pop into your consciousness.

Well, I did something about these thoughts.

I applied to Law School (online) and passed their entrance exam. At least when they plant me (or write the memorial) my name will have ESQ. behind it which, means that although all my past glories faded, at least I left something behind. I haven't received final acceptance yet but I think I'm going to take the plunge and spend my next three-four years learning the law. I wanted to go to law school right after college but the draft board had other ideas. Now, it's online and I have more time on my hands than I want so.....why the hell not? With a little luck I'll be able to practice law for five or maybe even 10 years when I finish and I think I'd like that...it would make me feel like I finished some "unfinished business" from a long time ago.

I'll resume my normal ranting tomorrow.....