Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Long, Contentious meeting

The meeting I mentioned in my "Al-Co-Hol!" post was just as long and contentious as I thought it would be.

Am I happy with the results?

It's a mixed bag. I'd say three of the four decisions I made were good, solid decisions based on law and justice but that 4th one........

Because of privacy and closed session laws I can't go into it but I can say what we said publicly. We found that the applicant for a servers license had a felony conviction that related to the unsupervised retailing of alcohol in a setting where minors were likely to be present and that presented a risk to the public.

Vague enough?

If it's too vague I'm sorry but that's as far as I want to go.

The establishment did not lose their license or get it suspended. That was fair and just.

One of the other servers did not get his license suspended or revoked. That was fair and just.

Two others were tabled because they did not receive proper notice. That was fair and just.

Two hours. Lots of arguments. lots of 2-1 votes. I think I earned my $1.40 per hour.