Friday, January 04, 2008

Ask and ye shall receive!

Alwayshope graciously responed to my request and sent the entire text of his poem...

You know, it's appropriate to put those memories up here now because of what happened in Iowa last night.

It's the beginning of the end of our long national nightmare...

Yeah, I voted…..so what?"

I feel empowered when I leave that booth,
My civic duty done with pride.
I’ve made my mark, spoken my truth,
And it will count, or so it’s implied.

Now Gore, now Bush, now too close to call.
And Florida holds the keys.
Buccanan gets votes and hanging chads fall,
Protesters show up in Rvs.

Now count them, no don’t, and judges decide.
Yes you can, or not, if you like..
Palm Beach tries, Dade says, “nah, let it ride.”

And Al’s finger slips out of the dike.
Now Bush has the lead. WE WON !
They demand.Stop the count! Katherine Harris complies.
And call up the highest court in the land.
In case they see through all our lies.

The supremes agree they haven’t a clue.
They kick it back to the Sunshine State.
And a judge named Saunders knows what to do.
He bangs his gavel and cleans the slate.

Now the Supremes see their way clear
To prevent harm to the elder Bush son.
The recount must stop now or, they fearIt will reveal who actually won!

It’s over now! They exclaim from the ranch where he hides.
And most admit that it’s true.
But it feels all wrong deep down inside,“We the people” were not me and you.

They were judges and lawyers and spinners.
And the news folk of course had a hand
.We could only watch as they picked the winners.

With sadness I watch Al’s last stand.
Al fought on with honor and lost with grace,
He was a better man in the end.

Dubya got a big boil on the side of his face,
And called all his Daddy’s men.
Well, at least it’s over, though we had no say.
Judge Rehnquist always knows best.
Those who own this country will now have their way

.And a new chance to feather their nest.
Now twice has Florida caused this fiasco.
I suggest we cut it off, set it free!
Maybe it’ll float on down to Castro

And little Elian can go back to Disney."

Thanks for sharing that .....