Sunday, February 03, 2008

Superbowl (yawn) Sunday

I'm must not be a "normal" person.


I'm not impressed by the hype of Superbowl Sunday. Granted, I might be a bit more interested if the Packers were playing but for the most part I resent the constant hyping and breathless analysis of the most mundane detail. I tend to visualize sportscasters in the same way I visualize the "barkers" on carnival midways ("Hurry, Hurry Hurry...for only two small dollars, you can come inside and see Little Egypt...she walks, she talks, she craaaaaawwwllllllls on her belly like a reptile....hurry, hurry, hurry...!") I remember that I was quite young and walking the midway at a state fair when I learned that the real purpose of this hype was to seperate me from my lunch money....I didn't fall for it then and I'm not falling for it now.


It seems like "ct" over at Kos has the same idea and provides us with a healthy serving of snark concerning the "origins of Superbowl Sunday". It has a special meaning for diehard Green Bay Packer fans....here's a picture...and a couple of snippets.
The Roman historian Tacitus tells us that as part of the Germans' celebrations for their god he identified as Mercury (believed by modern historians to be the same as Wotan in the Germanic pantheon, or Odin from Norse sources), they would toss pigs back and forth while drinking and feasting. For reasons that are obscure, during the Migration Period this grew to become one of their most important religious festivals, eclipsing the ceremonial duels between the sixty five greatest warriors of the land held every spring, and even the Serius Mundi, as Roman authors called it, held every fall.
snip
On a January afternoon in 667, the armies met in battle. The first half of the battle, according to contemporary accounts, was fierce, with the Chiefs almost gaining the upper hand. During the second half, though, a series of successes led to Vincentius defeating the Chiefs and forcing their King to accept baptism. Chastened, the Chiefs retreated.
Somehow, I think it's appropriate to spoof this day.....even if it is heresy to mock St Vince.