Wednesday, February 27, 2008

William F. Buckley has died


I suppose if there was a true soul of Conservative Philosophy, it must have been embodied in William F. Buckley.

He died at the age of 81 last night.

My memories of him go back to the 60's and watching him debate on TV in 68. I was just a President of a Young Republican's Club back in those days and I remember watching Buckley with a sense of shame that eventually evolved into a resolve.

The shame was because the man was so incredibly eloquent and this small town, wrong-side-of-the-tracks boy who was determined to make it successfully across the tracks felt small and feeble in comparisom to the man's brilliance. The resolve was that someday people would be in awe of my eloquence also. Well, that never actually happened. But then again, I never went back to the wrong side of the tracks either.

I've disagreed with Buckley's philosophy over the years but admired him nonetheless...much in the same way I now admire Gore Vidal and always admired Kurt Vonnegut....

Rest in Peace Mr. Buckley.

I think the country would be much better off if the Republican Party had a worthy successor to him.